What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are tooth root replacements that are positioned into your mouth to hold a replacement tooth or a partial bridge. Implants are constructed of three parts: a titanium post that is placed in the jawbone, an abutment that fits over the part of the implant that protrudes from the gum line, and the crown.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement solution. Some benefits of single dental implants include:
- Convenience. Dental implants function as natural teeth, so you can eat and talk without worrying about slippage.
- Appearance. Implants are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.
- Better dental health. With implants, you do not have to file down neighboring healthy teeth. Additionally, dental implants help prevent jawbone loss (common in denture wearers).
- Comfortable. Whereas dentures may take a while to get used to, many patients who have received dental implants report that they feel like natural teeth.
- Long-lasting. Dental implants can last for a long time. With proper care, they may even last you a lifetime!
- Better self-image. Implants help you restore your smile and rejuvenate your appearance.